Wednesday, August 23, 2017

No Longer Heard

Cleaning out a desk drawer, I find three pieces of scrap paper -- 
and I can't take a picture to show you because my camera is no longer working. 
I don't feel capable of learning to use a new one. 
My cell phone is a dumbphone -- if there's a way to take pictures with it and transmit them to you I don't know how and I no longer feel capable etc.
Maybe I can find a vintage Canon SD1100 IS on ebay -- stay tuned. Meanwhile, here with no illustration to dress up the post is what it says on those pieces of scrap paper.  What do you suppose I was intending to write?

rumble seat
Sue Barton, Student Nurse
Dionne quintuplets
hand signals
house dresses
Dutch bob
matching panties
double dutch
popsicle stick "free"
Red Fairy Book
Shirley Temple paper dolls
tire blowout
dry cereal
floor wax
matching panties
penny candy
bathing cap
tourist cabin
mastoid
root beer barrels
candy cigarettes
diptheria

5 comments:

  1. Edith, I am no therapist, but is there any meaning to the fact that you listed "matching panties" twice?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmmmm. All of them can vaguely be connected except mastoid?? Whats that doing there?

    ReplyDelete
  3. They're all terms I was familiar with in my childhood and haven't heard in years. Mastoid was a sometimes-fatal ear infection -- little kids died of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you mean mastoiditis. The mastoid itself is part of the temporal bone of the skull.

      Delete
  4. I was guessing that these were all things that might have been on your mind when you were 10 to 12 years old. (The Sue Barton book was first published in 1936, according to Wikipedia. I read it in a kids' book club edition in the early 1960s, since my oldest sister knew she was going to be a nurse practically in her cradle, and owned every children's/young adults' book about nurses in print at that time.)

    ReplyDelete