Monday, December 18, 2017

The Lost Prince

My kids are all out of town and "Mother, it won't fit in the suitcase" -- so bit by bit I'm giving away stuff I'll never use again and furniture that gets in the way of the electric scooter. Books I'll never read again go in a separate bookcase.  When I wrote the sign                                                                       "FREE -- PLEASE TAKE", my son with the economics degree suggested I'd get better results with:  
                                                                                                   "Take a book -- $1
                                                                                                      2 books  --$.75
                                                                                                       3 books --$.50
                                                                                                       4 books -- $.25
                                                                                                       5 books -- FREE"
At any rate, even with my few visitors that bookcase has a nice turnover.  Someone even took, recently, the big two-volume textbook from the freshman Survey of English Literature, a work that that started with Beowulf and -- back in 1944 -- never even mentioned Jane Austen.
Every now and then, though, I find a book I'd like to re-read, and those go in a different bookcase.  Looking it over recently, I discovered that the titles I can't quite part with aren't all that impressive.  Not much there in the way of challenging classics.
But there was a copy of what I would have said was my favorite book (had anyone asked me) back when I was 11 or 12 -- The Lost Prince, by Frances Hodson Burnett.  I'd borrowed some of her other books from the library -- The Secret Garden, Little Lord Fauntleroy, but The Lost Prince I'd taken out over and over.  During the Depression I never dreamt of buying a book, but I set out, one day, to make my own copy.  I must have given up after just a page or two, because all I remember is a notebook page filled with not very impressive penmanship.
 
So when did I buy this battered and much-mended copy?  In college, when I finally discovered second-hand bookstores?  This copy does contain the bookplate I'd made as an assignment in journalism school's printing course -- as close to attempting Art as I ever got. The linoleum block is supposed to be a view down Lake Keuka from my folks' porch.
 But then I found, at the bottom of page 133, an imprint that said "Portland Psychology Assn". I must have already been teaching at a college in Maine when I found a second-hand bookshop with this copy.  And why do you suppose that Assn owned it?
Well, I had some trouble, yesterday, keeping it in order on my bathtub reading rack.  The pages kept falling out, and I can no longer read a book straight through.  It took two days, but I'm here to tell you, The Lost Prince, with its 1916 copyright and 12-year-old protagonist, is still delightful. I'm keeping it.
                                                       Highly recommended.


4 comments:

  1. Books from that age stick. I still read the Ransomes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think I've read this one! The Secret Garden was my absolute favourite as a child. Can I read it while I'm in Roch?

    ReplyDelete
  3. She wrote grown-up books also and I liked them -- think I still own T. Tembarom somewhere, have to look for it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I must admit, alas, that I've never been a huge FHB fan. Never could manage LLF or A Little Princess/Sara Crewe--and the only characters I liked in The Secret Garden were Dickon and his sister. (There I go, hanging out with the servant class as usual.)

    But I like both the son's (Avi's?) suggestion for a sign for the "outgoing books" case, and your bookplate. (Don't sell your artistic abilities short; the bookplate is a great job and evokes exactly what you intended it to. In fact, I guessed accurately about the view of Keuka Lake even before I read your description.)

    ReplyDelete