Friday, May 17, 2013

Muguet Memories


The lily of the valley came out yesterday.  I’m particularly fond of it because it's one of the few things I planted myself, back in the days when I could bend down.  Wish you could smell these little ones on my desk.
They always remind me of my college roommate –that scent was her favorite perfume, and she’d go around quoting Coty’s advertising slogan:
               "When You’re in Love, wear Muguet des Bois.”
     She married the first man I ever kissed.  (He survived more than 50 missions as a bomber pilot over Germany, ended up a dentist, served with the Flying Doctors.)
They moved to California, frequented Sandstone --if you’re my age, you may remember it was a clothing-optional "swingers" community associated with Dr. Alec Comfort’s book The Joy of Sex. 
In recent years she developed Alzheimers. Last time she phoned me, the conversation was pretty incoherent. She’s gone now.
Boy, you can find just about anything on the Internet!
 ..

No comments:

Post a Comment