Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Flunked My Exam

Sometimes I wonder if I’ll run out things to tell you about, but fortunately, interesting stuff keeps happening.  This morning, for instance, I was unable to pull up my stock account on the Internet because the service took it into its head to go back and ask me four security questions -- and I flunked out.  Three of the questions I probably got right – what city was your wedding reception held in?  what is your least favorite food? and that old standbye, name of your pet?  The one I couldn’t get – and they gave me three tries – was
             When you were a child, what was your favorite tv show? 
What on earth could I have set up as the answer to that one?  Because I was married and had children before I ever saw live television.  We’re talking maybe 1950 here, and I remember the moment perfectly:  Norm and I are standing with some friends on a sidewalk on Monroe Avenue in front of Harry Malley’s appliance store.  Harry has set up a television set facing out to the street and people are crowding around to look at some dancing cigarette packs.  It was thrilling to think that at the very moment we were watching, two girls in white go-go boots were dancing down in New York city.  In real time!  Not on movie film!  We were seeing them as it happened.  It's the kind of thrilling moment one never forgets.


Boy, you can find just about anything on the Internet.

1 comment:

  1. One approach to those pesky security questions is to use the same answer for everything. I know someone who does this. For example, your answer can be 'cheese'. What's your favorite food? cheese. What city were you born in? cheese. What is the name of your favorite pet? cheese. What was your favorite TV show as a child? and so on!

    ReplyDelete