Thursday, August 22, 2019

Hi -- I''m still alive.  Just haven't felt like posting for months now.

It's okay -- feel fine.
I was picking the blueberries out of a fresh fruit salad this morning and flashed on a scene from around 1937 -- I'm with a group of Girl Scout campers climbing Mt. Monadanock in New Hampshire, and in front of us is a scraggy bunch of shrubs -- they're wild blueberries -- and we're FREE TO PICK THEM -- they're FREE.  Free food! I am so  astounded by the concept that I retained the memory -- I can still see that scene.

1 comment:

  1. Edie - I'm so excited to see your blog again! Welcome back! As for free blueberries, I believe the practice may still continue. Bill and I were hiking up a mountain in Maine about 5 years ago and an older (and more sure-footed) hiker passed us by. When we got to the top, we were commenting on the view, and the man showed us, with delight, that the blueberries were ripe and just grew here for all of us to enjoy! A few minutes later a woman arrived with two grandkids, each with a bucket to fill with blueberries. While they raced to see who could fill their buckets first, we ate blueberries to our hearts content. It too was an idyllic scene. This may only still happen in New England of course; after all, they still stop for pedestrians crossing (or even just thinking about crossing) the street.

    ReplyDelete