Sunday, May 25, 2014

Midnight Marauders

Picture not perfect, I admit.  Maybe the camera focused on the window pane instead of on the bird beyond? -- but I couldn’t resist yesterday when this Mourning Dove posed motionless in front of my desk after scrubbing its armpits in the bird bath. 

And then this morning – nothing but a solitary robin, looking in vain for what Samuel Pepys called “my morning draught” – tho Sam’s was usually draft ale, not slow drips into what I must admit was slightly muddy water.
My first thought was, could deer have done this?  Raccoons couldn’t, could they?  And then when I saw the woodpile tumbled, the reluctant conclusion that it was simply Bad Boys.  There are some, on the street behind us, justifiably angry about the damage a young visitor of mine did to Their Fort last year.
Hardly justifies calling the cops – and these days the security system protects against the intruder who used to enter after midnight and do nothing but empty our wallets and leave -- (the cops once set up a camera and caught him in our laundry room – but that’s all they ever caught.)

So I went out front and hijacked a strange man to come around back and help me lift the thing up into place.  And I guess from now on I’ll leave the backyard light on at night – for what that’s worth. 
             
             Stay tuned.

1 comment:

  1. I'd say don't be too hasty in blaming the Bad Boys; I've had some pretty destructive Bambis in my yard. Of course, though, you have a better sense of what's going on with the young humans in your neighborhood than any non-resident can.

    And if trouble persists, may I recommend one of the motion-activated sprinklers my husband and I use to keep varmints out of my vegetable gardens? No intruder, two-legged or four-legged, reacts well to intermittent blasts of cold water. Details upon request.

    ReplyDelete